Banner Image

Romans

Module Detail

Romans

  • Queens Module Code: THE3085

Year:

Year 3

Semester:

2

Contents:

The Letter to the Romans is the longest and most fulsome of Paul’s extant letters: so crucial has it appeared that almost every generation of Christians since the 1st century has wrestled with the interpretation of Romans.

The aim of the course is to help students understand Romans in its original context and appreciate Paul’s argument as it proceeds from start to finish. Building on level-1 and level-2 work in New Testament, the module helps students engage with the ancient context, consolidate their exegetical skills and sharpen their tools for theological appreciation. We also investigate how Romans has been read in the past and consider strategies for reading it today.

Learning involves formal classes and self-study. There is also independent learning appropriate to level-3 work. We study the major theological themes in Romans; engage with a number of recent approaches to the letter; exegete some important passages; and follow closely how Paul explains his understanding of the gospel to the Roman house churches in the 1st century.

Assessment

 

A 3,000-word assignment (worth 40%) typically explores a major theme of the letter or gives students the chance to develop their exegetical skills. A two-hour examination (worth 60%) consists of two questions: one is an exegetical essay, on texts selected from Romans; the other is a general question focusing on historical, literary or theological issues.

 

Learning Outcomes

Successful students will: further develop and practise their exegetical skills, applying them to the particular challenges of the Romans; further develop a critical approach to data and evidence, and to the conflicting views of scholars; develop an ability to recognise complex historical and cultural influences on the letter and to relate these to its theological concepts.

 

LECTURE DAY & TIME: L1 Wed 9am; L2 Wed 10am; L3 Thurs 3pm.

 

TUTORIAL DAYS & TIMES: There are no tutorial times for this module.

 

NOTE: This module runs in the Spring Semester.