The Gamble Library
Union College offers superb Library facilities and is by far the largest theological library in the Province. With its stock of over 60,000 books, 20,000 pamphlets and taking over 100 journals and periodicals, it is an outstanding resource for theological study and research.
The Gamble Library was established in 1873 by Caroline Gamble in memory of her husband Rev Henry Gamble. It then stocked about 4,000 books. Most books are housed within the main library area, but many less-used items are stored in other parts of the College and can be obtained on request.
An interesting historical note is that the library served as the Chamber of the House of Commons for the Northern Ireland Parliament in its early days.
In addition to the books found in most theological libraries (those used both for training for ordination and for the academic study of theology), the Gamble Library has acquired over the years a number of special collections, making the Library a particularly good resource for research into Presbyterianism in Ireland and related historical matters.
Further information on the facilites, opening hours and lending policies of the library is here
Search the library catalogue: http://libcat.union.ac.uk